Page Last Updated: 22-Sep-23
Displays of pre-judged works. Read the Rules and start working on your items now to submit your best work for competition.
$15.00 - First Place
$12.00 - Second Place
$10.00 - Third Place
$8.00 - Fourth Place
$6.00 - Fifth Place
Best Skein: $25.00 plus rosette
Best Knitted Item: $25.00 plus rosette
Best Crocheted Item: $25.00 plus rosette
Best Woven Item: $25.00 plus rosette
Best Felted Item: $25.00 plus rosette
Best Hooked Item: $25.00 plus rosette
BEST IN SHOW: $25.00 plus rosette
RULES FOR BOTH SKEIN and HANDMADE ITEM CONTESTS:
1. Use the Blue Ribbon Fair Online Registration to enter your items. Entry fee of $4.00 per item and registration deadline is October 10, 2023. Please make check payable to Dutchess County Sheep and Wool Growers Association (or just "DCSWGA"), if you need to mail a check to the chairperson.
2. Items must be completed after November 1, 2022 and prior to October 20, 2023.
3. Entries must be checked-in between 9:00 am and 12:30 pm on Friday, October 20, 2023 and remain on display until 3:00 pm Sunday October 22, 2023; otherwise prize money and ability for future entries will be forfeited. If you are unable to check-in your entries on Friday, please mail them by the deadline to the address indicated in item 6.
4. All entries must be the work of the exhibitor.
5. A maximum of 3 entries per person per category, unless otherwise specified.
6. Mail-in entries must be postmarked by October 1, 2023, and must include a return address label and postage (unless you will be picking up your item(s) at the festival). We are not responsible for items lost in the mail. Mail your items to NYS Sheep and Wool Festival, c/o Claire Houlihan, 92 Bonnie Way, Allendale NJ 07401. DO NOT mail your items to the Fairgrounds, or to the DCSWGA mailing address.
7. All entries will be displayed uncovered but supervised during festival hours. Every effort will be made to display and care for entries, but the festival staff assumes no responsibility for loss or damage.
8. Items must be picked up on Sunday, October 22, 2023, between 3:30 and 4:00 pm unless prior arrangements are made. Festival staff is not responsible for unclaimed items left after 4:00 pm. They will become property of DCSWGA.
9. Please attach two 3x5 cards to each entry.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AS IMPROPERLY MARKED ITEMS WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO BE JUDGED!!
CARD #1, please indicate the following:
a. category you are entering
b. the fiber content
c. handspun or commercial spun
d. FOR SKEINS include the technique(s) used to prepare the fiber and the intended use of the skein, and indicate wheel or drop spindle spun.
CARD #2, please print your name, address and telephone number. This card goes behind the first card.
NO OTHER TAGS OR LABELS ARE ALLOWED ON THE ENTRIES.
10. Handmade items must be made of any natural fiber or combination of natural fibers.
EXCEPTION: socks must be made of a minimum of 75% natural fiber.
PLEASE NOTE, NATURAL FIBERS OCCUR NATURALLY IN NATURE
AND COME NATURALLY FROM PLANTS OR ANIMALS (I.E. COTTON, FLAX OR HEMP, SHEEP, DOGS, LLAMAS, BISON OR SILK), AND ARE NOT REGENERATED OR MANUFACTURED FIBERS WHICH START WITH NATURAL PRODUCTS BUT ARE MADE BY HUMAN HANDS (I.E. BAMBOO, RAYON, SOY OR MILK).
11. Handspun refers only to yarn produced by the exhibitor, all others are commercial.
12. If there are more than 15 entries per category, the category may be divided at the discretion of the judge(s).
13. Handspun Yarn: A minimum of 2 oz. and/or 40 yards (unless otherwise stated); neatly wound with a circumference of 1 ½ to 2 yards; tied in at least 4 places with matching yarn; and washed to set the twist. (See rules above)
14. For categories 1, 15 and 16, and bonus points in Fleece to Shawl Competition, proof of featured breed (written grower breed certification, yarn sleeve, vendor receipt, fleece tag) must be included with entry.
15. JUDGES DECISIONS ARE FINAL.
PRE-REG REQUIRED CONTEST
Deadline to Enter: October 1, 2023
001 Featured Fiber: NATURAL COLORED WOOL - Must be natural color and can be singles or plyed.
002 All Wool Skein - 100% Sheep’s Wool, singles, natural.
003 All Wool Skein - 100% Sheep’s Wool, singles, dyed.
004 All Wool Skein - 100% Sheep’s Wool, two-ply, natural.
005 All Wool Skein - 100% Sheep’s Wool, two-ply, dyed.
006 All Wool Skein - 100% Sheep’s Wool, three-ply, natural or dyed.
007 Lace Weight Skein - 100% Sheep’s Wool, natural or dyed, minimum of 1 oz..
008 Novice Skein - YOUTH (16 years of age and under) spinning for less than 1 year - 100% Sheep’s Wool.
009 Novice Skein - ADULT (17 years of age and older) spinning for less than 1 year - 100% Sheep’s Wool.
010 Blended Skein - At least 50% Sheep’s Wool. Designed to show the versatility of wool when combined with other fibers into a smooth, evenly spun, standard plied yarn.
011 Novelty Skein - At least 50% Sheep’s Wool. Entries will be judged on the effectiveness of color, texture, multi-plying and other techniques skillfully used to achieve a textured type yarn.
012 Exotic Fiber - Natural fibers other than Sheep’s Wool (ex. Alpaca, Angora, Llama, Mohair, Silk, etc.). Any technique, blended or not. Minimum of 1 oz. and/or 40 yards.
Next Fest: October 21-22, 2023